It’s extremely important, before you start a sanctuary, to make sure you are on properly zoned land, especially when it comes to farmed animals.

The zoning classification you need to be on is usually called “agricultural”. It’s important to check your city’s zoning bylaw. There can be multiple different classifications or names of zones. Even in some rural residential zones they allow agriculture, but then you have to make sure to read the fine print as there can be possible restrictions. As example, that they don’t allow pigs.

Something to be aware of is if your land is on something like the Agriculture Land Reserve there might be restrictions or conditions attached to operating on this type of land.

Other considerations also important to take into account, are things like earthquake, fire or flood zones. If you already have the property and it falls within those zones, you will need to make sure to have evacuation plans in place for all your residents.


The Open Sanctuary Project | Property And Location Can’t Be Prioritized Enough

The P.E.A.C.E. Speaker Series | The Open Sanctuary Project “So You Want To Start A Sanctuary?” | Property Considerations (around the 24min mark)